Thursday, October 07, 2004

Be a living statue at a Dresden Dolls show


Liz and Zoe at the Dresden Dolls Posted by Hello

LOCATION: The Black Cat (14th and T) TIME: October 27th EQUIPMENT: $cover, costume, love of hammy theatrical display

I first saw the Dresden Dolls early this year. Stopping by Iota one Sunday afternoon for a drink, my friend Liz and I noticed the poster for the band that night, which quoted some reviews that mentioned the band's cult following in Boston; people would sometimes arrive at performances in costume to honor the lead singer Amanda Palmer's previous career as a street mime. So - as you may have noticed, it doesn't take much to persuade me to put on my pink wig.

The show was absolutely amazing: a crackling and charismatic performance. We twirled our feather boas and waltzed back and forth across the dance floor. Amanda and Brian came up to us after the performance to compliment us on our silliness, so Liz (whose antennae are always perked for a celebrity encounter), invited them for pie and an interview for her friend's zine.

You can read Amanda's diary for some interesting insights on what it's like to be a sincere artist struggling with newfound success in the music industry, and this essay for some tips on being a living statue. They're coming back to DC on October 27th - a great chance to rehearse your Halloween costume, or an excuse for another one altogether.

3 Comments:

Blogger kalisekj said...

Hey, I have enjoyed...your blog is informative - even entertaining.

I have a halloween sites. They pretty much covers costumes and masks related stuff.

Thanks again and I'll be sure to bookmark you.

10:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Help me Dude, I'm lost.

I was searching for Elvis and somehow ended up in your blog, but you know I'm sure I saw Elvis in the supermarket yesterday.

No honest really, he was right there in front of me, next to the steaks singing "Love me Tender".

He said to me (his lip was only slightly curled) "Boy, you need to get yourself a shiny, new plasmatv to go with that blue suede sofa of yours.

But Elvis said I, In the Ghetto nobody has a plasma tv .

Dude I'm All Shook Up said Elvis. I think I'll have me another cheeseburger then I'm gonna go home and ask Michael Jackson to come round and watch that waaaay cool surfing scene in Apocalypse Now on my new plasma tv .

And then he just walked out of the supermarket singing. . .

"You give me love and consolation,
You give me strength to carry on "

Strange day or what? :-)

3:59 AM  
Blogger Connor Wilson said...

Every year my son Dylan and I have been building our Halloween animatronic display. This year we added 12 new figures and my wife had been making the clothes etc. but then I clued in that Halloween Costumes were the ideal solution - ya, ok I'm slow but...This year is really cool because we've done an HP Lovecraft display that I'm sure he'd appreciate but I'm not so sure he'd approve of this - The Necronomicon - Is it just me or is that just plain goofy ? Anyway, everybody is doing their own Haunted House thing now but hey - it's fun and if you've got kids I really suggest you try it yourself if you haven't already. It's a nice change from the usual Christmas Lights routine and a lot of scaaarrry fun. Happy Halloween everybody.

3:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home