Sunday, October 10, 2004

Sketch strangers at Tryst

LOCATION: Tryst coffeeshop, 18th St in Adams Morgan EQUIPMENT: Yourself, sketchbook, audacity*

I was writing in my notebook at Tryst late one night and a cute guy sat down near me and ordered a glass of white wine and berries. He had a boyish, Italian-looking face with a square jaw, a smooth brow, a small, slightly twisted nose, and very red lips. So I started drawing his face. I knew that he noticed it, although he studiously avoided looking at me. He kept his face still and occasionally suppressed a smirk; when I leaned over to drink my tea, he tried to peek at the picture. Yet I could tell that he was also slightly uncomfortable. He was suddenly aware of the sensual aspects of his face, and of the fact that they were there, written on his body, available for any stranger to investigate and enjoy. He realized that he was posing, and it made him feel feminine and passive, but he also couldn't help it. From the way he was looking at me when he first sat down, I knew he was going to try to talk to me; but when I started drawing him, even though it intensified our connection, it was like I took his voice away.

Being objectified is simultaneously flattering and discombobulating. It's a nice place to visit, but you wouldn't want to live there. I'd throw some academic jargon at you, but I've never taken a women's studies course.

*Come to think of it, you should probably only try this if you're a girl, or extremely good at not seeming threatening. If a guy I didn't like started to draw me, I'd be totally skeeved out.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's pretty hot. You can sketch me anytime you want. --Chris

7:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home