Thursday, June 09, 2005

Changes

My friend Marcella, with whom I spent last evening scampering around the roof of her new house throwing water balloons at the neighbors; who, when she graduated from American University and came back to work in DC after spending the summer in Mexico with her family, seriously considered buying a $2,000 van and living in it, while using the bathrooms at the AU gym, to save on rent; who quit her job as a waitress at Blues Alley (said job allowed her to sign up for any shifts she wanted based on whether she liked the band that was playing that night) because it was "too much commitment," and earned most of her cash nude art modelling for the next few months; who once saved a woman being beaten up by a gang of thugs on the side of the road; who had a musician/painter boyfriend break up with her once because she was, quote, "too bohemian for him to handle" (to which Marcella said exasperatedly, "What does that word mean anyway?"); who told me seriously sometime last year, "Zoe, I've decided to stop being an existentialist"...

Marcella just got a job at the IMF. And she's doing a great job. They love her.

5 Comments:

Blogger Valancy Jane said...

I think I WAS her, in a past life. Naw, I wish. I'm not sure I'll ever be (or was) that cool.

10:54 AM  
Blogger Michael said...

I've fallen in love with her already.

10:56 AM  
Blogger zzzzzoe said...

Join the club, Michael...

10:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Who'd Thunk It.

12:50 PM  
Blogger Brian Mulholland said...

When did your friend work at Blues Alley? I have performed there with Maynard Ferguson, jazz trumpeter. And when we met some of the waitresses, I couldn't remember anyone's name except for Jenn (red-haired girl who had gone to George Mason, I believe). Did your friend know Jenn or any of the other staff? Thanks!

11:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home