Monday, July 18, 2005

XXX-treme yoga

Teaching a last-minute substitute class on Friday, I miraculously made it to the studio half an hour early. I decided to take advantage of my extra time by setting up an extra-nice atmosphere: tea light candles everywhere, incense, sprays of room freshener, carefully-calibrated lighting, etcetera.

The class started very well. Then, as I was demonstrating a chataranga (slowly lowered pushup) I smelled something harsh and sulfurous - and looked up to see that a lock of my hair was burning: big, flickering flames like a candle. "Oh my gosh, your hair's on fire!" said Chaka, a student in the front row. I reached quickly to bat it out. "Okay, hang in a forward fold for five breaths," I told the students to give myself a chance to regain composure. There were little pieces of hair ash all over my yoga mat.

At the end of class Chaka teased me, "Your crown chakra was really on fire tonight..."

Tea-lights go on the windowsill from now on.

1 Comments:

Blogger KT said...

sometime in a former life, my favorite winter holiday ritual was performing in this modern dance show in a cozy little theater. there were always candles set into greenery on candelabra, a table side stage, and in the window sills. you guessed it, one year with overzealous boughs and lights, a branch caught on fire. i blew out the candle, snatched the branch, and threw it on the floor where i was planning on stamping it out, but one of my oblivious partners did a side roll into it first, so then her hair and the branch were on fire. broke the ambience a bit. good thing the audience consisted almost entirely of very forgiving regulars.

8:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home